We are still enjoying the festive season, so what better way than to finish this year off with the beloved Trifle but with a twist. Now, what is Cooks secret ingredient??
The classic, South African dessert consisting of a sweet pastry crust, filled with a mild, creamy custard of milk, flour, sugar and eggs, baked in a round pie tin and dusted with cinnamon after baking.
The dessert originated among settlers at the Dutch Cape Colony in the 17th Century and is believed to have developed from the Dutch mattentaart a cheesecake lie dessert. This yummy dessert can be served chilled or at room temperature.
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 MELKTERT (secret ingredient)
- 1 cup store bought custard
- 2 tbs raspberry jam or sauce
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup green grapes, sliced
- 2 mangoes, diced
- 2 pomegranate, seeds only
- Fresh mint
To save time on the preparations – The Melktert can be store bought
1. Divide cream evenly into each glass
2. Slice MELKTERT into even portions and arrange at the bottom of glass
3.Divide custard evenly into each glass on top of MELKTERT, then top with jam
4. Divide remaining ingredients in each of the glasses in order a listed
5. Top with fresh mint sprigs
And there you have it Mzansi a healthy and delicious snack!