Everyone must love pizza like, so what better than to make our very own pizza – in a frying pan! What is Cook's secret ingredient?? Biltong!
Biltong is a form of dried, cured meat that originated in Southern African countries such as South Africa, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Namibia, Botswana and Zambia.
Various types of meat are used to produce it, ranging from beef to game meats such as ostrich or kudu. Biltong is a high-protein food and can be used as a teething aid for babies.
- 1 yellow, Red and Green pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 courgette, thickly sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 225g self-rising flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil , plus 1 tsp (for later)
- 5 tbsp fresh tomato pasta sauce
- 50g cheddar, grated
1. Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Place the peppers, courgette and red onion on a large non-stick baking tray and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil.
2. Season well and toss to combine. Roast in the oven for 20 mins until soft and beginning to brown. Set aside.
3. Heat the grill to medium.
4. Season the flour well and, in a large bowl, mix with the remaining oil and 4-5 tbsp water to form a soft dough. Knead briefly, then roll out on a floured surface to a rough 20cm circle.
5. Transfer the dough to a large ovenproof, non-stick frying pan and fry over a medium heat for 5 mins, until the underside begins to brown.
6. Turnover and cook for a further 5 mins. Spread the tomato sauce over the base, scatter with the roasted veg, then sprinkle with cheddar.
7. Grill the pizza for 3-4 mins until cheese has melted. Serve immediately, sliced into wedges, laying on a bed of Rocket.
And there you have it Mzansi a healthy and delicious pan made pizza!