We're having an #UBBA Cook-A-Long today #HN9ers! Do YOU know what that means? Yes, it means you can join as we'll be cooking our #HecticHeritage dish called, Umfino step-by-step LIVE! on YOUR ouma's television set...Hahaha :)
- The Xhosa are the second largest cultural group in South Africa, after the Zulu-speaking nation. The Xhosa language (Isixhosa), of which there are variations, is part of the Nguni language group.
- Xhosa is one of the 11 official languages recognized by the South African Constitution.
Now let's get cooking Umfino!
Go through ingredients:
- Spring onion,
- Cup Millie rice,
- 1 kg maize meal,
- Punt for kids to get ingredients or take notes.
- Start cooking (Step 1)
- Put water on stove
- Start chopping potatoes
- Once you have gathered all your ingredients together, place your aluminum pot on the stove and pour 500ml of water and diced potatoes into the pot.
- Catch up with chefs(Step 2)
- Let’s get to it - while waiting for the water to boil, we finely chop the spinach and cabbage on a cutting board and place aside.
- After 10-15 minutes, add the spinach and cabbage into the pot together, and give at least 20 – 30 minutes for all ingredients to cook together.
- Final Touches(Step 3)
- After 20 – 30 minutes, add 3 tbsp. of sunflower oil into the pot. Stir together.
- Switch the stove off, and leave the pot to cool for a few minutes.
- Umfino always tastes better when it is served warm.
AAAND thats's a wrap #HN9ers(well, not a chicken wrap buuut..) Yeah, you know what we mean!
Let us know how YOU enjoyed your #UBBA Umfino dish & HOW YOU found it Cooking along with us?
You can comment below using the hashtag #HecticHeritage :)