While we are on the VEGAN trip, Cooks makes a Pasta Salad and the secret ingridient for the week is Chakalaka.
a garnish or food complement made of Indian/Malay origin, made of mixed onion, garlic, ginger, green pepper, carrots, cauliflower, spiced with chillies and curry.
Chakalaka is a South African relish that is traditionally served with bread, pap, samp, curries or stews.
- pasta (rotini, penne, bow ties, elbow)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can sliced black olives
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 250ml cherry tomatoes
- ½ large cucumber
- ¼ – ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 – 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ ulcup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (Italian seasoning)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- generous pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Chakalaka Tin
Please note – to save time on the preparations – the *Chakalaka* can be from the store
1. Cook the pasta until nice and soft. Drain the extra water and rinse the pasta under cool running water. Let it cool down!
2. Mix the dressing and prep the veggies and chickpeas while the pasta is cooking.
3. To assemble the pasta salad, add the pasta, colourful veggies to a large serving bowl (or the pot the pasta was cooked in),
4. Add the Chakalaka to the mixture and pour the dressing overtop and mix well to coat.
5. Serve this pasta salad at room temperature or chilled.
And there you have it Mzansi a healthy and delicious lunch is served!