It is the festive season and what better than to make some delicious cookies! But it makes US wonder, what is Cooks secret ingredient?? Mageu!
a traditional South African, non-alcoholic drink amongst the people in Mzansi and is made from fermented mielie pap. The taste is derived from the lactic acid that is produced during the fermentation.
Mageu contains plenty of dietary fibres that help maintain a healthy bowl, lowers cholesterol and helps control blood sugar levels.
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 3tbsp Mageu (secret ingredient)
- 1tbsp of sugar
- 1tbsp butter
- ½ tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup of chocolate chips (dark chocolate)
Please note – to save time on the preparations – the Mageu can be store bought
1. Add shredded coconut to a blender, process until it is a fine powder, about 30-60 seconds.
2. Add the remaining cookie ingredients, and blend until a dough forms.
3. If it is too dry, add more mageu, 1 teaspoon at a time, until a dough forms.
4. Using a spoon, scoop evenly sized balls, press them into a round, flat cookie shape.
5. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet, and freeze for at least 15 minutes, to firm up.
6. Once cookies are firm, using a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips.
7. Use two forks to dip each cookie into the chocolate, carefully scrape off any excess, and then return to the sheet.
8. Repeat with remaining cookies. You should have a little chocolate left.
9. You can put it in a pastry bag and drizzle the chocolate over the cookies like shown in the photo, if desired.
And there you have it Mzansi a healthy and delicious snack!