The opportunities for independent artists have never been greater, thanks to the power of social media! But, what are the benefits of going independent? We got your back and hit you up with a few benefits of beng an independent aritsit/creative right now!
- As an independent artist, you have total control over your career.
- Creativity matters the most for any musician’s career. An independent artist has complete control over the direction and creative content of their music.
- They are able to explore lyrical content and innovative musical styles that are excluded from the mainstream. As an artist, take that opportunity to express yourself in your lyrics and your own individuality in your music.
- For an independent artist there’s no pressure unlike at major labels to sacrifice your tastes in favour of seeking chart success.
Copyright on own work
- Being associated with any major labels means the artist does not get to keep the rights or even the creative control over their music.
- The benefit of owning your copyrights is that you can determine how much of the royalties each person that took part in the song will get.
- It comes in the form of controlling how much of the publishing gets distributed. Most record deals allow the label to have control over the copyright of an artist’s original work.
- Giving up your copyrights means giving up the ability to control how much you make.
- As an independent artist, are your own record label, so you keep 100% of the profits.
- You make all of the profit from your live sales because you’re not buying them from your label.
- Concept of music streaming or Internet Radio enables you to get paid when your songs are played on the Internet.
- Even the karaoke tracks of your songs can be sold to make money.
- If your song happens to get featured in an advertisement or a film, you can license masters to the same.
- You may find opportunities to shop your songs nationwide as well.
No Deadlines, No Contracts
- Being associated with a major label requires you to meet the deadlines; your music is influenced by corporate demands.
- Whereas as an independent artist you are your own bosses.
- You set your own schedule of work. Your contract doesn’t ever really end it’s just when you run out of money or Idea’s.
- This is one of the main reasons indie artists like to remain independent.
- You don’t have to sell out to what will make the label the most money. You can do what you want and perform where you want.
So here are all the PROs of being an independent artist/creative. Let us know in the comments if you would still consider going indepepndt after getting all this info. As a bonus here are also some tips on how to succeed as an independent artist!
Connect with your fans: Building a strong relationship with your fans is crucial to your success as an independent musician. To sustain and grow your fan base you'll need to connect with your listeners both online and in person. Playing live as well as connecting online by posting funny and exciting content that will keep your fan base interested!
Play to your strengths: Know your strengths and focus on them. If stage presence is your strong suit, you could try and secure a residency at a local venue. A regular gig slot puts your music in front of new people every week and earns you extra cash to fund your career. If you've got a creative mind and know your way around a camera and editing software, why not focus on making original music videos – and if they are amazing, your work might just go viral. That is how Justin Bieber was born!
Brand Identity: Lastly, get your brand out there! A strong brand identity can help to develop a strong brand awareness! So, create your logo’s, flyers and all promotional material so your fan base know about you!
Don'f forget to let us know what you guys think in the comments section down below and hopefully these tips will help you on your way to make amazing independent music that we can debut on Hectic Nine 9 some day!